Wednesday, May 19, 2010

These blast points - too accurate for drunk people.

Yeah, you want to see them don't you? You really, really do? It's late and I have had three glasses of wine and a few beers? I just watched a movie about 4-D cubes killing people? Henrik is a little crazy at times?

All these things are true.

With that in mind, I can show you these images and know that the truth is setting you and me free. If it doesn't make sense, sleep on it. All will be revealed!

Earlier today I got annoyed. I was working on the Lantern code-base, trying to get the line renderer working, so that I didn't need to use the gizmo setting for the ray visualisation. This proved to be a pain in my neck-hole, as I tangled myself in a low-frame rate web of lies and deceit.

To combat my mental lethargy, I decided to give the visuals an overhaul. You have seen the concepts I did in thumbnail form for the game, and with those firmly planted in my head, I decided to re-jig the whole look. I liked where I originally was headed, but that lost it's way in the transition to 3D. So, I went back to the drawing board - also known as my Graphire3. Also, I played some more healthy portions of Lucidity to get into the mood of things. Thus, this first, and heavily inspired image was born.


I imported all those layers into Unity and ran it through a few times. Sure, it looked cute, but also crappy. Like a picture of some baby you don't know - cute, but where is the emotional attachment? I suppose if I was a pregnant woman, I would have some kind of auto-magical instinct that would elicit the emotional attachment. I am neither female nor pregnant. Sue me.

So I went back to the drawing board after a 3 hour stopover at the pizza and beer/wine lounge. The product of my semi-fuelled machinations was actually quite pleasing to myself. I can see this second image turning into quite the game.


Gone are the flat pastures of my previous works, and in are the uneven grounds that mark the future of Lantern. I like the visual feel of this, and without sounding like a moron, those rocks in the foreground are some of the best I have drawn.

Lantern will look like this. One day.

Stay tuned,

Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment