Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The mid-painting-slump

I do a few digital paintings from time to time. Usually my muse and I enjoy a short lived relationship, lasting no longer than a few hours or so. After such a time, I find it very hard to return to a piece. With that in mind, I try to get all my paintings done in one stint.

As my mum, and art teacher, has told me on many occasions, there is a part of the painting process that is, more often that not, a tiresome affair. I know it as the mid-painting-slump. It's the time right after the original idea has gripped you, all the sketching is done, and block colours have been whacked in. It's the time where questions really start arising. Is the concept solid enough? Can I complete this to be as clear on paper as it is in my head? That translation from head to page is sorely tested at this point.

I had an interesting run in with The Slump last month. I was in Indonesia for work, and of an evening either enjoyed a few beverages, or tried to do a painting. One particular night I started work on a painting, then, half way through, right on the cusp of The Slump, we decided to go out for a drink at the local bar. This left me in an interesting position. I had an alright feeling about this painting, having been heavily inspired by this blog post. It fitted perfectly in with my Lantern Guy's world, so I decided to try my own hand at it.

The Slump hit just as I was about to leave, and this is what it looked like -


I was a little bit worried about the painting at this stage. Thankfully, we weren't out too late, and my muse had kindly stayed with my artwork. It seems that sometimes she believes in an artwork more than I do. I was able to push past The Slump, and engage with the piece on another level entirely.

There are several things I find help get me past The Slump. One of the key problems is that once I start a painting, I like to follow my mentally defined pattern of how the painting should be achieved. This can become quite static, as the process of painting is much too organic and hates to be limited.


1. Break some rules.

I do something I wasn't expecting. I add something, a layer, a detail, a mark, that I would normally not add. I let myself relax into the exploration of the theme. Some of my brush strokes might suggest a new form, and I just follow it and see what happens. This is a LOT of fun.


2. Stop thinking, and start detailing. 

Another thing I find very enjoyable is to pick a random spot on the painting and just work it. I define some edges, blur others. Add lighting, add warmth, cold, contrast. Most of all, I love adding little lines. Edges are so interesting, especially when some are lost.

When I engage with these two new practices, I get into the flow section of painting. I forget time, and just engage. This is, for me, the most exhilarating part of making art.

For this particular painting, these two practices worked perfectly. I'm sure there are more things I do, and I am sure others have more successful methods, and I'd love to hear about them!

Finally, I finished the painting.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment